<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d12354366\x26blogName\x3dLet\x27s+Make+Cents!\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://letsmakecents.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://letsmakecents.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7694619307217039596', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Graduation gifts

It's graduation time, and I want to buy a gift for my niece's HS graduation. If I just give her cash now she'll probably spend it on trendy clothes, so I will probably give a card now and the actual gift when she leaves for college, because I'd like to gift her something she'll need but will appreciate not having to pay for.

Teenagers can be difficult to find gifts for. A few members of my family are pooling resources to buy her a laptop for college, which is a necessary tool for students to have these days. The only caveat is that you really need to know where your college-bound kid is going to end up, because some schools have particular computer hardware/software requirements for their students. Other schools even provide a computer for each student as part of the tuition fees.

One of my relatives is giving her a round-trip airline ticket home for the winter holidays--another great gift that can really help out a family trying to cope with college finances and the gift season, too.

Other gifts? I love phone cards and pre-paid cell phones. A secured credit card with a fixed amount could also be useful and a great teaching tool. For birthdays I've found U.S. savings bonds are a nice gift for my nieces and nephews of all ages for their post-college future. It gives them a little savings and I just send them a certificate printed off the web.

So what am I giving my niece? Probably a gift certificate to her college bookstore for her first semester. What did you get for your HS graduation? I just remember a couple of things- a leather jacket and towels, both of which were much appreciated and (I thought) useful for college. I've also got some helpful links below--


Comments:
I just heard on the radio station that the top pick for high school and college graduates is a computer. Next in line is an I'pod(?)spelling), then a car, etc.

When I graduated I was on my way into the Navy so it was easy for people to buy my gift..lol..we should all be so easy!!
 
Try checking out the bookstores that are on campus at the college she is going to and get a gift certificate there, that way you know what it is going for(books or school spirit).
 
I got mainly money when I graduated. But the few actually gifts that i got was a pillow for my dorm, a homemade blanket,Thedr seuss book All The Places You Will Go. That one is a good one. Other things useful for my dorm life.

I also loved getting those random care pakages in the mail when i lived in the dorm.
 
Hi, Blogger, I was surfing and searching for some info on wealth and noticed your site. Your Graduation gifts though sounded interesting so I took a look. It was not relevant to my wealth quest but I am glad to stop by and view your interesting viewpoints! Keep up the good blogging.
 
Hey Blogger. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching credit cards hsbc. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though Graduation gifts is way off base from credit cards hsbc I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at credit cards hsbc. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work.
 
I love your blog Blogger. How long has it been on-line? Reason I ask is I am doing a ton of work in the area of credit cards fixed rates and will probably end up starting a blog of my own. Funny how the internet brought me here when I was doing searches on credit cards fixed rates. Oh well, I am glad it did. Keep up the great blogging and I am sure I will visit Graduation gifts again!!
 
Hi Blogger your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on credit cards payments I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to Graduation gifts, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about credit cards payments. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!
 
Hey this blog is not about credit cards payments. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on credit cards payments and it brought me to your blog on Graduation gifts. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog Blogger and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I will snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff on here that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link


<< Home

Subscribe in NewsGator Online Blogarama - The Blog Directory Subscribe with Bloglines
Syndicate this site